Skip to main content

To Pants or to Plan? That is the Question...

What kind of writer are you? Are you a write-by-the-seat-of-your-pants writer? Or are you a plan-every-single-detail kind of writer? In reality, most people sit somewhere in the middle.

My personality is such that I am an organizer...much to my husband's chagrin sometimes. I'm getting better at not getting so uptight when the flow doesn't go according to plan, but I still find I need to schedule things or they don't happen. When it comes to my writing, however, I've found I have to let both aspects participate to get the best product possible.

Because of the advantages and disadvantages of both "pantsing" and "planning," a combination of the two approaches works best for me. From bad experience, I have found that if I don't at least plan the major plot points along my storyline, my story is unfocused, which means it requires A LOT more work in revision. I don't have a clear character arc, which makes my character inconsistent; nor do I have a clear plot arc, which means I have to cut a lot of events which are really boring to the reader (no matter how cool I think they are). My character arc in particular really suffers because there's no clear development of understanding in my character; instead, she bounces all over the place.

But if I plan every single detail, I lose a lot of the excitement of writing. It becomes an exercise rather than a creative process. So I have to let loose a little too. For me, that means I know that my character starts at Point A, and will eventually hit Point B, but I don't really know how or when she'll get there. That process is where my character gets to reveal herself to me a bit more. (Points in the story continuum, for me, are usually critical events for the development of the plot and/or character.) I'm still fascinated by the times when I am writing a conversation, and I get to the end of the conversation, and my character has made a discovery or understood something completely differently than what I thought she would. Those moments are always fun because the scenario has come alive, and I think the progression of events is more realistic and natural to the character.

The other day, however, I basically "pantsed" a whole story, which I never do. I had a basic concept, essentially the climax. But I had no idea how to turn it into an actual story. For weeks I cogitated on it, but the most I could get was a snippet of an opening scene. Really just an image. I went to a write-in where I had to write something for a set period of time. I didn't have anything really to work on at the moment, so I started the story. I wrote that opening scene and then followed the logical progression of events. As I wrote, the whole story unfolded before me perfectly. No matter how much I had tried to plan, I really just needed to write.

So try something new. If you're a pantser, try to plan a story. If you're a planner, try to pants one. It doesn't have to be anything long; but you just might find a combination of the two that actually works better for your writing process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

K12 Teaching in 2020

Today I drove home from work with my rock music blasting at higher decibels than, I'm sure, was healthy. But I needed a heavy beat loud enough to feel it vibrate in my chest. I'm not a drinker, but if I were, today would be a three-glasses-of-wine day. And there's no specific reason. Except that I'm only a month into the school year, and I'm already exhausted. And I'm not alone. All you parents out there who are concerned about the style, quality, amount or any other qualifier of education your child is receiving this year, I can guarantee you that an entire team of teachers, administrators, and support staff is just as worried. We're doing our damnedest to meet your (and our!) expectations. Right now, I'm barely keeping my head above the water line. I am the kind of personality who plans things out. I visualize my dive into the deep end, consider all possible complications, and then perform a smooth breaststroke from one side to the next before any of t...

Grammar Pet Peeves

So I have this textbook for one of my classes (drier than dry), and it has adopted a "style" of punctuation that absolutely drives me nuts. Now, in the great grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter, especially since it is consistent throughout. But it just irks me, and since I have no where else to really complain, I'm going to spout off here. Then hopefully I'll be able to get over it and ignore it for the rest of the semester. This book has decided to put its initial quotation marks as single rather than double marks. So a direct quote would be, 'This is a direct quote.' Or 'This is a "quote within a quote."' Annoying. Especially since this is actually a collection of scholarly English essays. Come on, people. Hasn't anyone heard of MLA? Another grammatical pet peeve - bad signs. If you are going to expose something to the public (like on a marquee, flier, etc.), please for heaven's sake, make sure it's correct ...

Titles...My Greatest Weakness

Titles are amazing elements of writing. They are intended to tell a reader the basic idea of your entire piece of writing in a few short words or phrases. But they are also profound, witty, catchy, or otherwise memorable. Which is why they are so exceptionally difficult for me. I'm always searching for those few perfect words that will cause someone to want to read my piece (whether essay, novel, poem, or anything else), as well as be something they will remember when they are telling their friends about it. And those few perfect words always seem to elude me. I can recognize a perfect title; it's full meaning is usually embedded in a line or phrase somewhere within the writing itself that seems to perfectly sum up the theme or main point of the writing. But maybe I'm not an experienced enough writer to find those perfect words in my own writing. Or maybe I just don't recognize them because I'm too close to the piece of writing. Regardless of th...