Skip to main content

The Perfect Gift

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is to find the perfect gift for a loved one. For me, it's one way I can show the other person how much they mean to me.

But what if your loved one is a writer? Writers are a completely different type of person with different needs and interests than many people. Below I've listed the top three gifts I would give a writer. These are gifts that would be most helpful for them.

  • Writing Conference. Especially for a novice writer, the information you can gain from writing conferences is invaluable. Usually the panelists or presenters provide practical, hands-on information. Some educational programs are really helpful and effective, but they can sometimes be more theoretical than practical. You can also pick-and-choose which topics are most interesting to you or those you need more information about because of your writing weaknesses. For the more experienced writer, writing conferences are a great place to network with other writers and professionals within the industry. Many of the connections necessary to be successful in the writing field are forged at writing conferences: agents, publishers, writers as critiquers, friendships of support, etc. Writing conferences can be genre-specific or generalized to all writing. I've attended some of both, and they are both beneficial. Paying for and providing the opportunity for a writer to attend a conference would be a great gift.
  • Writing Tools. By comparison to other careers or hobbies, writers need relatively few external tools, but the ones they need are important. Particularly in our digital age, a computer of some sort is necessary anymore. I prefer a laptop because it is portable for anywhere I may have the opportunity to write. It is also "mine," which means I don't have to share it with anyone else in the family. I am less likely for something to get deleted, get viruses, or otherwise have my writing lost. I like to back my writing up in multiple places. I usually save my work to my home computer, Google Drive, a flash drive, and Dropbox. Most of these resources are "free," but some may require an initial investment. I have many writer friends who swear by the program Scrivener. I have never used it, but I've heard a lot of great things about how it allows you to organize your writing in particular.  Tools for writing tend to be relatively inexpensive by comparison to other careers, but they are still a great gift to help your beloved writer be successful.
  • Time and Support. This is a little bit of an abstract gift, but perhaps the most important one. Writers think and work a little bit differently from other people. It is often a solitary job with constant negative criticism about how terrible your writing is, and it's difficult to not interpret that as that you are also a terrible person. Writing is also very time-consuming. Sometimes we can spend hours working on a story and get only a few pages down. It's really hard to stay positive as a writer. If the ones closest to us tell us we are wasting our time and effort, we'll probably give up. Instead, think outside the box for an appropriate gift. Perhaps give your loved one a coupon for free babysitting while they write. Arrange your schedule to allow your loved one a set amount of uninterrupted writing time each day or week. Give lots of feedback on what is good on their writing even if you want to suggest an improvement. (A good ratio is 2 or 3 positives to 1 negative.) Good and bad feedback are more impactful coming from someone we care about versus a stranger. Make sure your writer gets the physical and emotional support they need to be successful. There is really no better gift for them.
I hope that this holiday season is a beautiful one for you. Spend time with your loved ones, and perhaps this will give you some ideas if you are still seeking that "perfect" gift for the writer in your life.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

K12 Teaching in 2020

Today I drove home from work with my rock music blasting at higher decibels than, I'm sure, was healthy. But I needed a heavy beat loud enough to feel it vibrate in my chest. I'm not a drinker, but if I were, today would be a three-glasses-of-wine day. And there's no specific reason. Except that I'm only a month into the school year, and I'm already exhausted. And I'm not alone. All you parents out there who are concerned about the style, quality, amount or any other qualifier of education your child is receiving this year, I can guarantee you that an entire team of teachers, administrators, and support staff is just as worried. We're doing our damnedest to meet your (and our!) expectations. Right now, I'm barely keeping my head above the water line. I am the kind of personality who plans things out. I visualize my dive into the deep end, consider all possible complications, and then perform a smooth breaststroke from one side to the next before any of t...

Grammar Pet Peeves

So I have this textbook for one of my classes (drier than dry), and it has adopted a "style" of punctuation that absolutely drives me nuts. Now, in the great grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter, especially since it is consistent throughout. But it just irks me, and since I have no where else to really complain, I'm going to spout off here. Then hopefully I'll be able to get over it and ignore it for the rest of the semester. This book has decided to put its initial quotation marks as single rather than double marks. So a direct quote would be, 'This is a direct quote.' Or 'This is a "quote within a quote."' Annoying. Especially since this is actually a collection of scholarly English essays. Come on, people. Hasn't anyone heard of MLA? Another grammatical pet peeve - bad signs. If you are going to expose something to the public (like on a marquee, flier, etc.), please for heaven's sake, make sure it's correct ...

Titles...My Greatest Weakness

Titles are amazing elements of writing. They are intended to tell a reader the basic idea of your entire piece of writing in a few short words or phrases. But they are also profound, witty, catchy, or otherwise memorable. Which is why they are so exceptionally difficult for me. I'm always searching for those few perfect words that will cause someone to want to read my piece (whether essay, novel, poem, or anything else), as well as be something they will remember when they are telling their friends about it. And those few perfect words always seem to elude me. I can recognize a perfect title; it's full meaning is usually embedded in a line or phrase somewhere within the writing itself that seems to perfectly sum up the theme or main point of the writing. But maybe I'm not an experienced enough writer to find those perfect words in my own writing. Or maybe I just don't recognize them because I'm too close to the piece of writing. Regardless of th...