Skip to main content

The Perfect Ending to a Perfect Story (Hopefully)

We've invested a lot of time and energy into writing the perfect story, only to be faced with creating the perfect ending. We want our conflict wrapped up with a nice, neat bow, but we don't want to cheat our readers. My prime example of this faux pas is the Hunger Games series.

I loved about 2 1/2 books of this series, and was furious at the last half of the 3rd book. Suzanne Collins broke every promise she had made to her reader, and she broke many of the beginning rules of writing. I'll try not to spoil the story for those of you who haven't read it yet, and if you haven't read the series, you should...at least as a case study. But basically, Collins wrote her character into a corner (which is good practice, by the way), and then gave up trying to find a logical, believable way to get that character out of the corner (which is NOT a good practice). Plus her main character did not actively solve the conflict driving the entire series, and the difficulties in the romantic relationships were never resolved, but instead ignored and forgotten. It honestly felt like she had a deadline, ran out of time, and just threw together whatever she could come up with. In other words, a completely dissatisfying and frustrating ending for an otherwise enjoyable series.

Now that my rant is complete, for once, I think the rest of this post may be pretty short because I don't have anything better to say than what a quick search will reveal. (Here is a link to a particularly fun blog with different endings to practice and play with.)  About the only "new" thing I can contribute is what I do to finish a story.

It's hard for me to write about how I finish a story because the ending is something I think long and hard about, and really it's just a gut feeling when something works. My driving force is that I want my reader to leave my story with an emotional response that lingers with them. This takes various forms depending upon the genre and type of story I am writing.

In my medieval novel, roses play a significant role in the telling of my story. They are mostly symbolic of a whole bunch of related things. In fact, my working title is Roses of Chesterley. At the end of the story, my main character is pregnant and wants to name the daughter "Rose." Without giving away the whole story, my hope is that after going through the emotional and physical journey with my main character, the reader will understand the multiple layers of significance for both the character and the story in general by naming her daughter Rose.

An emotional story does not have to have a happy ending. In fact, in both of my horror stories (*spoiler alert*) my main character dies. But the character dies for a greater purpose, though that purpose takes different forms in each. Just because it's more of my personality, I still try to engender hope for the future, even in dark stories. I think this makes the reader think back to how I set up this hope throughout the story, which is exactly what I want.

So in other words, find that ending that makes your reader sit back and say, "Ahh," when they finish your story. Sometimes it takes multiple tries and lots of feedback from readers. But when your gut tells you that your bow is perfectly tied, both you and your reader will come back for more.

Comments

  1. Your short story Evolution had a nice twist at the ending. I liked how the main character committed herself fully to her cause when she realized she could not be spared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tom. That's what I was going for, so I'm glad it came across.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

K12 Teaching in 2020

Today I drove home from work with my rock music blasting at higher decibels than, I'm sure, was healthy. But I needed a heavy beat loud enough to feel it vibrate in my chest. I'm not a drinker, but if I were, today would be a three-glasses-of-wine day. And there's no specific reason. Except that I'm only a month into the school year, and I'm already exhausted. And I'm not alone. All you parents out there who are concerned about the style, quality, amount or any other qualifier of education your child is receiving this year, I can guarantee you that an entire team of teachers, administrators, and support staff is just as worried. We're doing our damnedest to meet your (and our!) expectations. Right now, I'm barely keeping my head above the water line. I am the kind of personality who plans things out. I visualize my dive into the deep end, consider all possible complications, and then perform a smooth breaststroke from one side to the next before any of t

Superfriends

This story intentionally follows comic book canon only loosely.                  The doorbell chimed throughout the mansion. A tall, white-haired butler clicked across the tiled floor to the doorway. As he opened the door, a dark-haired man stood in the pouring rain.                 “Welcome, Mr. Kent,” said the butler.                 “Alfred,” the man replied as he handed the butler a pair of glasses. “I’m always glad when I can take those off. Especially toward the end of the day, they really hurt my eyes.”                 “Indeed, sir.” Alfred carefully set the glasses next to a potted plant on the entryway table. “You are the last to arrive. The others are in the den.”                 Mr. Kent strode across the entryway toward a door spilling light into the foyer. As he entered the room, a hexagonal table stood in the middle with five chairs pulled up to it. A man with a firm, square jaw met him at the door with a handshake. He wore a black cape and mask that looked lik

Top Eight Things I *Love* About Writing

http://www.123rf.com/ Why do writers write?  It's certainly not for the money. The major success stories are all we hear about, but they are actually so rare as to be laughable.  So why do writers write? I think the answers are individual for each writer, but similar across many writers.  In honor of Valentine's Day, here are the top eight (8) reasons why I write: 1.      The creative process.   I love when I have a new idea in my head and I get excited about it.  I love to express those stories and put them on the paper for someone else to enjoy. The mental process of figuring out how to make a story work is fascinating and exciting. 2.      The escape.  When I write, I get to create the world and events.  It allows me to be in control of how good (or bad) things are.  It rejuvenates me to face my own reality again.  Writing is one of my outlets of stress relief; I can always make things worse for my character than whatever is going on in my life.  Whether directly