Skip to main content

Top Eight Things I *Love* About Writing

http://www.123rf.com/
Why do writers write?  It's certainly not for the money. The major success stories are all we hear about, but they are actually so rare as to be laughable.  So why do writers write?

I think the answers are individual for each writer, but similar across many writers.  In honor of Valentine's Day, here are the top eight (8) reasons why I write:

1.     The creative process.  I love when I have a new idea in my head and I get excited about it.  I love to express those stories and put them on the paper for someone else to enjoy. The mental process of figuring out how to make a story work is fascinating and exciting.

2.     The escape. When I write, I get to create the world and events.  It allows me to be in control of how good (or bad) things are.  It rejuvenates me to face my own reality again. Writing is one of my outlets of stress relief; I can always make things worse for my character than whatever is going on in my life.  Whether directly related to my problems or not, my writing is exceptionally cathartic.

3.     The collaboration.  I love the opportunity (usually) to interact with other writers and discuss the craft of a story.  Sometimes it's hard to listen to what they have to say, but I know it's never personal.  Sometimes I just have a hard time believing their suggestions are better than what I thought, but they're usually right.  And if nothing else, they at least help me see my story in different ways, and that always makes it better.  I also love to help other writers figure out solutions to their problems or vice versa.  It's like a community puzzle with multiple solutions, and I love puzzle games.

4.     The opportunity for perfection.  Reality check: it will never be perfect.  I sometimes wonder if successful authors every read something they wrote after it's been published.  It drives me nuts that I always find something better to do with my story after I'm "done" with it.  But that also means I'm becoming a better writer, and I like that feeling.  Again, something I can control and always improve upon.

5.     The play with words.  As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm wordy.  I like words.  Actually, I have a love affair with words.  I love how they blend together both in your mouth and in your mind.  And I love coming up with that perfect combination of words that allows you to see my story.

6.     The invigoration.  I'm always rejuvenated after a good writing session.  I'm excited about my story, of course, but I'm also excited about life.  

7.     The accomplishment.  We as human beings are prideful, and that's not a bad thing as long as you keep it in check.  I love feeling proud of myself after I write an awesome story/chapter/scene/whatever.  (Inevitably, it never lasts long because my critique group lovingly tells me all the things that are wrong.  But at least I have those few moments.  And I appreciate their honesty always.)
http://www.cba-va.org/


8.     The education.  I learn a lot about other people as I try to make my characters authentic.  But mostly I learn a lot about myself, and that makes my own life and relationships better.

So what about you?  What would you add to this list?

Comments

  1. 9. Validation.
    Actually, in my mind this is a future reason. Like you, I am as yet unpublished, (except for a single literary journal with a readership of maybe ten). I have a stack of rejection letters thick enough to publish in itself. But that hasn't discouraged me from continuing to write and continuing to submit. Because someday, some editor is going to look at my words and say, "Yes. This is good. This I will publish."

    And that will validate everything I've ever done that led me to write that story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One reason I write is that I crave to express myself. I am not published yet, either. I agree with what you have listed as reasons, especially the one about enjoying the creative process. I have to add, though, that I would love to have something published so I can pick it up and announce, "This is part of me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with number 3. Having other people read my work has been key in helping me improve. It's an excruciating process. My wife overhears as I get my critiques and she wants to bite everyone's head off. She doesn't know how I can take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with 1-9 :) Bottom line is that I write because I don't know how not to. Some day soon we will all have something to hold up and say, "This is part of me." Because it's what we do. We create, we strive, we improve and we will succeed.

    (Tom, we aren't -that- bad, are we??)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

K12 Teaching in 2020

Today I drove home from work with my rock music blasting at higher decibels than, I'm sure, was healthy. But I needed a heavy beat loud enough to feel it vibrate in my chest. I'm not a drinker, but if I were, today would be a three-glasses-of-wine day. And there's no specific reason. Except that I'm only a month into the school year, and I'm already exhausted. And I'm not alone. All you parents out there who are concerned about the style, quality, amount or any other qualifier of education your child is receiving this year, I can guarantee you that an entire team of teachers, administrators, and support staff is just as worried. We're doing our damnedest to meet your (and our!) expectations. Right now, I'm barely keeping my head above the water line. I am the kind of personality who plans things out. I visualize my dive into the deep end, consider all possible complications, and then perform a smooth breaststroke from one side to the next before any of t

Superfriends

This story intentionally follows comic book canon only loosely.                  The doorbell chimed throughout the mansion. A tall, white-haired butler clicked across the tiled floor to the doorway. As he opened the door, a dark-haired man stood in the pouring rain.                 “Welcome, Mr. Kent,” said the butler.                 “Alfred,” the man replied as he handed the butler a pair of glasses. “I’m always glad when I can take those off. Especially toward the end of the day, they really hurt my eyes.”                 “Indeed, sir.” Alfred carefully set the glasses next to a potted plant on the entryway table. “You are the last to arrive. The others are in the den.”                 Mr. Kent strode across the entryway toward a door spilling light into the foyer. As he entered the room, a hexagonal table stood in the middle with five chairs pulled up to it. A man with a firm, square jaw met him at the door with a handshake. He wore a black cape and mask that looked lik