Skip to main content

The Driving Force of Conflict

I must start by apologizing that I have not blogged before now. But you are not the only ones I let slide this week. I have not been very good at writing my novel, or my daily journal of my son. My blog is just one more thing in a long list that I slacked on...

But on a more positive note, I did attend my monthly writing group meeting this last week. So at least I did something for my writing. We had a speaker this month named Clint Johnson (clintjohnsonwrites.com). I'm sure we've all heard all the things that a successful novel "has to have" - the essentials to any story. Most of the time I have heard the primary necessity as being your characters, but Clint presented a workshop on conflict. It is through conflict, he said, that your character is forced to act outside his/her comfort zone, and therefore be understandable and relatable to your reader.

Interesting perspective. As he defined it more as the night progressed, I admit it made sense. It was still based around the characters like I've always heard, but you can only get to know those characters through forced reaction to conflict (or the decision not to react - it all depends on the character).

He gave us a couple of writing exercises that he prefaced with not choosing something we are currently working heavily on unless we want to re-write our entire novel. I've already re-written once on this novel; I don't want to do it again. So I picked an idea that wasn't even really an idea at this point. It was one short, tiny scene from a dream I had. But it was interesting, so I had it stored it away as a "maybe-someday-I'll-explore-this-more" idea.

The first exercise was to determine the character's single, overpowering need that drives the entire novel. Then figure out the very first thing that conflicts with that need and how the character would react to it. Finally, let your mind experiment with how the stakes could be raised by either deepening them (usually personal effects) or broadening them (usually public effects). Totally let lose and consider all possibilities.  This is only brainstorming anyway. After all of this starts to unfold, then you can start really writing a compelling story.

After going through these exercises, my sliver of an idea did start to formulate into some potential possibilities (though they are still so tremulous I'm not ready to share them yet).

But I also thought of another way this technique could be used. As I'm probably sure you've already figured out from reading this blog, I am verbose. I'll admit it - I'm wordy. So my novel keeps growing and growing and growing. I think the story is logical and makes sense and flows well, but admittedly I am biased because it is all coming out of my own brain. So once everything is down on paper, I am going to use this technique to revise my novel.

I've decided that, for myself, the best way to determine what is actually good, and what is useless to the story is to use an objective gauge. I can look at each of my scenes and determine if it adds to the conflict with my main character's primary needs (in this case to be accepted as she is, and to take care of her family), and if it deepens or broadens the stakes. If the scene doesn't do that, it's out of there.

Now I realize saying that and actually doing it are two completely different things. But this at least gives me some way to work with my text that works for me. Maybe it will work for you too. (Thanks, Clint!)

Comments

  1. What a fabulous perspective on conflict! I love the idea that the character steps out of his or her comfort zone and it that moment the character become more relatable and believeable. Love it. Good luck with using your new-found conclusions in the editing process. As you say, 'it is easier said then done', but there is something compelling when a new truth really makes sense. Somehow, it make the task, in this case editing, easier. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

K12 Teaching in 2020

Today I drove home from work with my rock music blasting at higher decibels than, I'm sure, was healthy. But I needed a heavy beat loud enough to feel it vibrate in my chest. I'm not a drinker, but if I were, today would be a three-glasses-of-wine day. And there's no specific reason. Except that I'm only a month into the school year, and I'm already exhausted. And I'm not alone. All you parents out there who are concerned about the style, quality, amount or any other qualifier of education your child is receiving this year, I can guarantee you that an entire team of teachers, administrators, and support staff is just as worried. We're doing our damnedest to meet your (and our!) expectations. Right now, I'm barely keeping my head above the water line. I am the kind of personality who plans things out. I visualize my dive into the deep end, consider all possible complications, and then perform a smooth breaststroke from one side to the next before any of t

Superfriends

This story intentionally follows comic book canon only loosely.                  The doorbell chimed throughout the mansion. A tall, white-haired butler clicked across the tiled floor to the doorway. As he opened the door, a dark-haired man stood in the pouring rain.                 “Welcome, Mr. Kent,” said the butler.                 “Alfred,” the man replied as he handed the butler a pair of glasses. “I’m always glad when I can take those off. Especially toward the end of the day, they really hurt my eyes.”                 “Indeed, sir.” Alfred carefully set the glasses next to a potted plant on the entryway table. “You are the last to arrive. The others are in the den.”                 Mr. Kent strode across the entryway toward a door spilling light into the foyer. As he entered the room, a hexagonal table stood in the middle with five chairs pulled up to it. A man with a firm, square jaw met him at the door with a handshake. He wore a black cape and mask that looked lik

Top Eight Things I *Love* About Writing

http://www.123rf.com/ Why do writers write?  It's certainly not for the money. The major success stories are all we hear about, but they are actually so rare as to be laughable.  So why do writers write? I think the answers are individual for each writer, but similar across many writers.  In honor of Valentine's Day, here are the top eight (8) reasons why I write: 1.      The creative process.   I love when I have a new idea in my head and I get excited about it.  I love to express those stories and put them on the paper for someone else to enjoy. The mental process of figuring out how to make a story work is fascinating and exciting. 2.      The escape.  When I write, I get to create the world and events.  It allows me to be in control of how good (or bad) things are.  It rejuvenates me to face my own reality again.  Writing is one of my outlets of stress relief; I can always make things worse for my character than whatever is going on in my life.  Whether directly