Skip to main content

Reader's Survey

I'm not even going to try to explain why it has been so long since I've posted.  Just be glad I'm on now.  And I'll try to do better in the future.

This survey was shared with me, and since they say you have to read voraciously in order to write well, I thought it would be a good survey to share.  I'll follow up one of these days with a similar survey geared toward writing.  Wouldn't it be interesting (though not necessarily surprising) if the two aligned fairly closely?

  • What are at least 2 of your favorite genres? Young adult (YA) and mystery
  • What is your least favorite genre? Western
  • What is your all-time favorite book? Way too many to choose from
  • What is the first book you remember reading? A children's book called something like The Good Witch
  • Do you prefer books or audio books? Books (haven't tried audio much)
  • Who are your favorite authors? Stephanie Meyer (I know, I know; not "classics" but totally engaging); Rachel Ann Nunes
  • How many books do you read in a year? At least 15-20
  • Do you buy books or borrow them from the library? Both
  • How many books do you own? 3 bookcases full
  • What is your most prized book? Probably Black Like Me
  • What are the worst books you have ever read (or tried to read)? Most recently The Lost Boys
  • Have you read any modern day sequels you liked? Twilight; The 13th Reality (Go James!; check out thedashnerdude.blogspot.com); Emeralds and Espionage (Lynn Gardner); Tennis Shoes (Chris Heimerdinger)
  • What is your favorite quote from a book? "The Heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of."  The Heart Has Its Reasons by I don't remember
  • Who is your all-time favorite male character? No idea
  • Who is your all-time favorite female character? No clue
  • What highly recommended book have you not liked? The Lost Boys
  • A character you love to hate? Can't think of one off the top of my head
  • Do you belong to a book club? No
  • What was the last book you purchased? For myself, The 13th Reality by James Dashner
  • What are you reading now? Potty Training in One Day, and about to start Speak
  • What book made you cry the hardest? Can't think of one
  • What book made you laugh the most? Too many to name
  • What is your favorite children's book (one you would choose to read to your kids)? The Other Side (among others)
  • If you were to choose a book to give as a gift, what would it be? Completely depends on whom it's going to
  • List 5 books you have read more than once? Black Like Me, In My Hands, all scriptures, several others
  • What is your favorite book made into a movie? Often I read the book after, so not a fair question to answer
  • Did you like the book or movie better? Book
  • What book would you like to see made into a movie? In My Hands by Irene Gut Opdyke
  • Do you prefer hardcover or softcopy? Soft
  • Do you leave the dustcover on while you are reading a book? Yes
  • Where do you usually read? Anywhere, but frequently at home
  • When do you usually read? Anytime I can
  • Do you keep a TBR (to-be-read) list? Yes, and it continues to grow rather than shrink
  • Do you usually have more than one book that you are reading at a time? No, but I finish them quickly, so I move from one to another quickly
  • Do you remember how you developed a love for reading? Constant reading; I often had to put off reading until long weekends or I would read rather than do my homework.
I hope you enjoyed learning a little more about my reading habits. I'd love to hear about some of yours in the comments.

Comments

  1. Interesting reading for its insight into you. I must say that two of my favorite authors are Robert Harris (historical thrillers) and David Brin (science fiction).

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Speak. Teaching junior high, I believe it is a must read for all teenaged girls. Thanks for sharing.

    Jilane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

K12 Teaching in 2020

Today I drove home from work with my rock music blasting at higher decibels than, I'm sure, was healthy. But I needed a heavy beat loud enough to feel it vibrate in my chest. I'm not a drinker, but if I were, today would be a three-glasses-of-wine day. And there's no specific reason. Except that I'm only a month into the school year, and I'm already exhausted. And I'm not alone. All you parents out there who are concerned about the style, quality, amount or any other qualifier of education your child is receiving this year, I can guarantee you that an entire team of teachers, administrators, and support staff is just as worried. We're doing our damnedest to meet your (and our!) expectations. Right now, I'm barely keeping my head above the water line. I am the kind of personality who plans things out. I visualize my dive into the deep end, consider all possible complications, and then perform a smooth breaststroke from one side to the next before any of t

Superfriends

This story intentionally follows comic book canon only loosely.                  The doorbell chimed throughout the mansion. A tall, white-haired butler clicked across the tiled floor to the doorway. As he opened the door, a dark-haired man stood in the pouring rain.                 “Welcome, Mr. Kent,” said the butler.                 “Alfred,” the man replied as he handed the butler a pair of glasses. “I’m always glad when I can take those off. Especially toward the end of the day, they really hurt my eyes.”                 “Indeed, sir.” Alfred carefully set the glasses next to a potted plant on the entryway table. “You are the last to arrive. The others are in the den.”                 Mr. Kent strode across the entryway toward a door spilling light into the foyer. As he entered the room, a hexagonal table stood in the middle with five chairs pulled up to it. A man with a firm, square jaw met him at the door with a handshake. He wore a black cape and mask that looked lik

Top Eight Things I *Love* About Writing

http://www.123rf.com/ Why do writers write?  It's certainly not for the money. The major success stories are all we hear about, but they are actually so rare as to be laughable.  So why do writers write? I think the answers are individual for each writer, but similar across many writers.  In honor of Valentine's Day, here are the top eight (8) reasons why I write: 1.      The creative process.   I love when I have a new idea in my head and I get excited about it.  I love to express those stories and put them on the paper for someone else to enjoy. The mental process of figuring out how to make a story work is fascinating and exciting. 2.      The escape.  When I write, I get to create the world and events.  It allows me to be in control of how good (or bad) things are.  It rejuvenates me to face my own reality again.  Writing is one of my outlets of stress relief; I can always make things worse for my character than whatever is going on in my life.  Whether directly