Skip to main content

Book Review of Black Like Me

I have recently joined a book club, and I chose the first book we read. I decided that as I read these books for my club, I'll post a review of them each month. If I get really ambitious, maybe I'll post some reviews of other books I'm reading too. Black Like Me is one of my favorite books, and I think it is so powerful. 

Black Like Me is a nonfiction memoir by John Howard Griffin. In the 1950s, Griffin decides that he does not really understand the "black problem," and as a white Southern gentleman, no one will really tell him the truth. The only way he can truly understand the situation is to darken his skin via medication and stains, then travel the South as a black man. The novel is a recounting of his experiences.

I find this novel fascinating on so many levels. First of all, I feel it is one that everyone can relate to because everyone has felt discriminated against, whether because of skin color, intelligence, sexual orientation, religion, gender, socioeconomic status, age, or a multitude of other divisions. I once had a student complain because as a WASP (white, Anglo-Saxon protestant), he was discriminated against in scholarships; there were scholarships available for every color/background under the sun...except his own. Although I completely understand the reason for this, I have also often wondered how we can consider ourselves a society of equality when true equality never exists.

I am fascinated by the psychological struggle Griffin goes through as a black man - something he never expected when he took on the project. As he spends more time as a black man and in the black world, he begins to think of himself as black.  That means the situation is "our problem," and he finds he cannot even smile or look at a white woman (his usual gentlemanly response) without being considered as making a pass at her. He sort of loses his own personality because he tries to do what is expected of someone like him. At one point he is mistaken for a porter and is surprised as he finds himself giving an oversized, grateful grin and thanking the woman profusely for her small tip. He realizes his actions are not congruent with his status as a successful businessman, but are a result of his situation and how he presently thinks and reacts. Near the end of the story, he starts to travel in the same areas as both black and white, and he finds completely different treatment by the same individuals. He also finds it difficult to revert back to his "white self" after experiencing life as a black man.

I also appreciate that Griffin is very fair to both sides of the issue. He readily admits that although he gets the "hate stare" from several white individuals, blacks have their own form of the hate stare reserved for whites. Although he recounts the cruel treatment received from some individuals, he is quick to admit that in certain areas the cruelty was not the norm for most people. He praises both black and white who try to remedy the problem, but also explains the approaches (both black and white) that do not help.

Griffin's human aspect also comes through clearly. There are a couple of times in the novel when he cannot withstand the situation and must escape. One time he goes to another city and tries again, another time he retreats to a monestary for a few days. In both situations, it reminds the reader how desperate the situation is for the oppressed, especially since they do not have the luxury of escape. After his experiment, several communities around the country call him in as an "expert" to help them remedy the situation in their areas. When possible, he rebukes them for not relying on local black leaders who know the culture, community, and condition so much better than an outsider ever could.

Black Like Me is a classic novel I feel every person should be familiar with. It is one I enjoy reading frequently and regularly. I do not believe that we can ever understand the Black/Asian/Hispanic/Middle Easter/Insert-any-other-word Experience unless we have lived it. However, I do believe that by educating ourselves as much as possible, we can understand that differences do exist, and that a person's experiences will define how he/she reacts in various situations. It is by recognizing, appreciating, and accepting those differences that true equality can someday be achieved. This novel illustrates how to recognize and accept those differences as eloquently as virtually any other I have read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

K12 Teaching in 2020

Today I drove home from work with my rock music blasting at higher decibels than, I'm sure, was healthy. But I needed a heavy beat loud enough to feel it vibrate in my chest. I'm not a drinker, but if I were, today would be a three-glasses-of-wine day. And there's no specific reason. Except that I'm only a month into the school year, and I'm already exhausted. And I'm not alone. All you parents out there who are concerned about the style, quality, amount or any other qualifier of education your child is receiving this year, I can guarantee you that an entire team of teachers, administrators, and support staff is just as worried. We're doing our damnedest to meet your (and our!) expectations. Right now, I'm barely keeping my head above the water line. I am the kind of personality who plans things out. I visualize my dive into the deep end, consider all possible complications, and then perform a smooth breaststroke from one side to the next before any of t

Top Eight Things I *Love* About Writing

http://www.123rf.com/ Why do writers write?  It's certainly not for the money. The major success stories are all we hear about, but they are actually so rare as to be laughable.  So why do writers write? I think the answers are individual for each writer, but similar across many writers.  In honor of Valentine's Day, here are the top eight (8) reasons why I write: 1.      The creative process.   I love when I have a new idea in my head and I get excited about it.  I love to express those stories and put them on the paper for someone else to enjoy. The mental process of figuring out how to make a story work is fascinating and exciting. 2.      The escape.  When I write, I get to create the world and events.  It allows me to be in control of how good (or bad) things are.  It rejuvenates me to face my own reality again.  Writing is one of my outlets of stress relief; I can always make things worse for my character than whatever is going on in my life.  Whether directly

Superfriends

This story intentionally follows comic book canon only loosely.                  The doorbell chimed throughout the mansion. A tall, white-haired butler clicked across the tiled floor to the doorway. As he opened the door, a dark-haired man stood in the pouring rain.                 “Welcome, Mr. Kent,” said the butler.                 “Alfred,” the man replied as he handed the butler a pair of glasses. “I’m always glad when I can take those off. Especially toward the end of the day, they really hurt my eyes.”                 “Indeed, sir.” Alfred carefully set the glasses next to a potted plant on the entryway table. “You are the last to arrive. The others are in the den.”                 Mr. Kent strode across the entryway toward a door spilling light into the foyer. As he entered the room, a hexagonal table stood in the middle with five chairs pulled up to it. A man with a firm, square jaw met him at the door with a handshake. He wore a black cape and mask that looked lik