Skip to main content

Why a Serious Writer Needs a Serious Critiquer

We've all heard the buzz about critique groups, alpha groups, beta groups, peer review groups, and any other term you can think of to describe such an organization. But sometimes we forget to stop and think about "why" we need such a group and instead just add it to our list of Things to Do in Order to Be Successful. So let's look at some of the whys.

First of all, there is one crucial detail that all these titled groups have in common: other readers.

Did you realize the answer was that simple? Other readers.That is what makes an effective writer.  We've all had the experience of somehow getting stuck in our own minds. We missed stupid, easy spelling or grammatical mistakes; the scene in our head didn't make it to our paper; instead of a riveting conversation, we produced daily, boring drivel. But of course, since it is our own writing, we don't see those flaws. It is, after all, our baby, our darling, our perfect little angel, and by the way, how dare you claim something is wrong with it?

I have had those experiences, as I'm sure many of you had. A fellow writer approached me once to read through his novel. After taking the time to critique it and talk to him about it, it was soon obvious when he argued every one of my points that he really didn't want a critique; he wanted a "good job." It was a bit of a shame because he is exceptionally creative, much more so than I am. (I know, shocking, isn't it?) But until he is willing to consider criticism, his writing will be nothing more than mediocre.

"Good jobs," though they feel good, get you NOWHERE. So, a serious writer needs to accept a serious critique. But that's the real fear, isn't it? If this darling, this beloved, this precious creation of your own making has a flaw, it somehow is a reflection upon your own creative capabilities.

I say, Bah!

Which one of us can honestly say we are perfect in every single thing we do? And even the things we are really good at, are we equally good at every aspect? For example, even a professional basketball player is "known" for certain things. He has a great three-point shot, or always drives in for the lay-up, or has an awesome free throw average, or rebounds like a maniac. But never (or at least very rarely) do we praise a player for being amazing at everything, although they are obviously above average in all things. So why should writing be any different? (For a discussion of why writing is the only art that is perceived as "effortless" visit Kelly Lindberg's blog.)

And that, my friends, is why a serious writer needs a serious critiquer. It is terrifying to turn that baby over to the sitter for the first time and wonder what shape the house (not to mention the child) will be in when you get home. And it is equally as difficult (if not more so) to turn over that story to the red-pen marker. They say you have to develop a tough skin in this business, and that's the truth. How much easier is it to practice with friends you trust than that ultimate critic with no time for anything but bluntness -- the editor? There have been times when my critique groups have told me the blunt truth that I didn't want to hear, and I fumed and fussed about it for a couple of days, justifying that they were wrong; they didn't know my story; they just didn't understand. And then after those couple of days, I'd throw my hands up and sigh in resignation because I knew they were right.

And I learned the real purpose of a critique group.

Critiquers are readers. If my critiquers don't "get it," or can't believe it, or fill-in-your-own-problem here, then at least a large chunk of my readers wouldn't either. And it's a lot easier to take criticism from your private critiquers than it is from harsh public critics.

Part of my title includes the need for a "Serious Critiquer." This means NOT your mom/dad/spouse (sometimes)/best friend/co-worker, etc., and for two very specific reasons.

          Reason #1 -- You'll get a "good job," which is about it, and as we established above, that isn't helpful.
          Reason #2 -- They are not qualified to help you fix the problems.

We've already adequately discussed Reason #1, so let's spend just a moment on Reason #2. How often have you read/viewed/experienced something that you didn't particularly like or felt was mediocre, but you couldn't express why you felt that way? This is like your general, lay reader. When you don't write well, your readers don't feel satisfied but they can't really express what their disappointment is. A critique group contains people who are somewhat trained in writing and can better find and express where the problems are and how to fix them. An ideal group has a mix of strengths, weaknesses, expertise, and experience that help balance, support, and ultimately improve each other. It's that simple; they can see -- and express -- what you can't.

We could go on for pages more, but we'll save that for future posts. For now, just realize that if you want to be serious about your writing, be serious about seeking criticism. Ultimately, it makes you a better writer (and, in many ways, a better person).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

K12 Teaching in 2020

Today I drove home from work with my rock music blasting at higher decibels than, I'm sure, was healthy. But I needed a heavy beat loud enough to feel it vibrate in my chest. I'm not a drinker, but if I were, today would be a three-glasses-of-wine day. And there's no specific reason. Except that I'm only a month into the school year, and I'm already exhausted. And I'm not alone. All you parents out there who are concerned about the style, quality, amount or any other qualifier of education your child is receiving this year, I can guarantee you that an entire team of teachers, administrators, and support staff is just as worried. We're doing our damnedest to meet your (and our!) expectations. Right now, I'm barely keeping my head above the water line. I am the kind of personality who plans things out. I visualize my dive into the deep end, consider all possible complications, and then perform a smooth breaststroke from one side to the next before any of t

Top Eight Things I *Love* About Writing

http://www.123rf.com/ Why do writers write?  It's certainly not for the money. The major success stories are all we hear about, but they are actually so rare as to be laughable.  So why do writers write? I think the answers are individual for each writer, but similar across many writers.  In honor of Valentine's Day, here are the top eight (8) reasons why I write: 1.      The creative process.   I love when I have a new idea in my head and I get excited about it.  I love to express those stories and put them on the paper for someone else to enjoy. The mental process of figuring out how to make a story work is fascinating and exciting. 2.      The escape.  When I write, I get to create the world and events.  It allows me to be in control of how good (or bad) things are.  It rejuvenates me to face my own reality again.  Writing is one of my outlets of stress relief; I can always make things worse for my character than whatever is going on in my life.  Whether directly

Superfriends

This story intentionally follows comic book canon only loosely.                  The doorbell chimed throughout the mansion. A tall, white-haired butler clicked across the tiled floor to the doorway. As he opened the door, a dark-haired man stood in the pouring rain.                 “Welcome, Mr. Kent,” said the butler.                 “Alfred,” the man replied as he handed the butler a pair of glasses. “I’m always glad when I can take those off. Especially toward the end of the day, they really hurt my eyes.”                 “Indeed, sir.” Alfred carefully set the glasses next to a potted plant on the entryway table. “You are the last to arrive. The others are in the den.”                 Mr. Kent strode across the entryway toward a door spilling light into the foyer. As he entered the room, a hexagonal table stood in the middle with five chairs pulled up to it. A man with a firm, square jaw met him at the door with a handshake. He wore a black cape and mask that looked lik