Skip to main content

The Perfect Gift

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is to find the perfect gift for a loved one. For me, it's one way I can show the other person how much they mean to me.

But what if your loved one is a writer? Writers are a completely different type of person with different needs and interests than many people. Below I've listed the top three gifts I would give a writer. These are gifts that would be most helpful for them.

  • Writing Conference. Especially for a novice writer, the information you can gain from writing conferences is invaluable. Usually the panelists or presenters provide practical, hands-on information. Some educational programs are really helpful and effective, but they can sometimes be more theoretical than practical. You can also pick-and-choose which topics are most interesting to you or those you need more information about because of your writing weaknesses. For the more experienced writer, writing conferences are a great place to network with other writers and professionals within the industry. Many of the connections necessary to be successful in the writing field are forged at writing conferences: agents, publishers, writers as critiquers, friendships of support, etc. Writing conferences can be genre-specific or generalized to all writing. I've attended some of both, and they are both beneficial. Paying for and providing the opportunity for a writer to attend a conference would be a great gift.
  • Writing Tools. By comparison to other careers or hobbies, writers need relatively few external tools, but the ones they need are important. Particularly in our digital age, a computer of some sort is necessary anymore. I prefer a laptop because it is portable for anywhere I may have the opportunity to write. It is also "mine," which means I don't have to share it with anyone else in the family. I am less likely for something to get deleted, get viruses, or otherwise have my writing lost. I like to back my writing up in multiple places. I usually save my work to my home computer, Google Drive, a flash drive, and Dropbox. Most of these resources are "free," but some may require an initial investment. I have many writer friends who swear by the program Scrivener. I have never used it, but I've heard a lot of great things about how it allows you to organize your writing in particular.  Tools for writing tend to be relatively inexpensive by comparison to other careers, but they are still a great gift to help your beloved writer be successful.
  • Time and Support. This is a little bit of an abstract gift, but perhaps the most important one. Writers think and work a little bit differently from other people. It is often a solitary job with constant negative criticism about how terrible your writing is, and it's difficult to not interpret that as that you are also a terrible person. Writing is also very time-consuming. Sometimes we can spend hours working on a story and get only a few pages down. It's really hard to stay positive as a writer. If the ones closest to us tell us we are wasting our time and effort, we'll probably give up. Instead, think outside the box for an appropriate gift. Perhaps give your loved one a coupon for free babysitting while they write. Arrange your schedule to allow your loved one a set amount of uninterrupted writing time each day or week. Give lots of feedback on what is good on their writing even if you want to suggest an improvement. (A good ratio is 2 or 3 positives to 1 negative.) Good and bad feedback are more impactful coming from someone we care about versus a stranger. Make sure your writer gets the physical and emotional support they need to be successful. There is really no better gift for them.
I hope that this holiday season is a beautiful one for you. Spend time with your loved ones, and perhaps this will give you some ideas if you are still seeking that "perfect" gift for the writer in your life.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

K12 Teaching in 2020

Today I drove home from work with my rock music blasting at higher decibels than, I'm sure, was healthy. But I needed a heavy beat loud enough to feel it vibrate in my chest. I'm not a drinker, but if I were, today would be a three-glasses-of-wine day. And there's no specific reason. Except that I'm only a month into the school year, and I'm already exhausted. And I'm not alone. All you parents out there who are concerned about the style, quality, amount or any other qualifier of education your child is receiving this year, I can guarantee you that an entire team of teachers, administrators, and support staff is just as worried. We're doing our damnedest to meet your (and our!) expectations. Right now, I'm barely keeping my head above the water line. I am the kind of personality who plans things out. I visualize my dive into the deep end, consider all possible complications, and then perform a smooth breaststroke from one side to the next before any of t

Superfriends

This story intentionally follows comic book canon only loosely.                  The doorbell chimed throughout the mansion. A tall, white-haired butler clicked across the tiled floor to the doorway. As he opened the door, a dark-haired man stood in the pouring rain.                 “Welcome, Mr. Kent,” said the butler.                 “Alfred,” the man replied as he handed the butler a pair of glasses. “I’m always glad when I can take those off. Especially toward the end of the day, they really hurt my eyes.”                 “Indeed, sir.” Alfred carefully set the glasses next to a potted plant on the entryway table. “You are the last to arrive. The others are in the den.”                 Mr. Kent strode across the entryway toward a door spilling light into the foyer. As he entered the room, a hexagonal table stood in the middle with five chairs pulled up to it. A man with a firm, square jaw met him at the door with a handshake. He wore a black cape and mask that looked lik

Top Eight Things I *Love* About Writing

http://www.123rf.com/ Why do writers write?  It's certainly not for the money. The major success stories are all we hear about, but they are actually so rare as to be laughable.  So why do writers write? I think the answers are individual for each writer, but similar across many writers.  In honor of Valentine's Day, here are the top eight (8) reasons why I write: 1.      The creative process.   I love when I have a new idea in my head and I get excited about it.  I love to express those stories and put them on the paper for someone else to enjoy. The mental process of figuring out how to make a story work is fascinating and exciting. 2.      The escape.  When I write, I get to create the world and events.  It allows me to be in control of how good (or bad) things are.  It rejuvenates me to face my own reality again.  Writing is one of my outlets of stress relief; I can always make things worse for my character than whatever is going on in my life.  Whether directly